Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Grateful - Day 2




Moms.

Moms are so wonderful. I am so blessed to have the mother that I have. I am so blessed to have the mother-in-law that I have. And I am truly blessed to be a mother to my wonderful son. I can't imagine how I could even attempt to be a mom without the role models of my past and of the present.

My mother's mother was Audrey, who was the epitome of grace, strength, humor and love. I wish I had gotten to know her more as an adult - but I am blessed to have a family full of stories to describe who she was.

Audrey's mother was my namesake . . . almost. I was to be Naomi Grace after her, but was switched to Noella Grace. She was a tough woman, who had the strength of mountains - or so I'm told. I love to know that I have their spirit with me, and their strength in me . . . somewhere. It helps to remind me that when things get tough, you have to get tougher.

And then there's my own amazing mother. She is so kind, generous and giving but determined and strong. She's my "mean ol' mom" as we used to call her. She wouldn't let us go as we wanted and where we pleased. She set up boundaries and followed through, no matter how "mean" it was. But she wasn't rigid or unrelenting - she had expectations and made sure they were met, all out of love. But man, can she be silly. I love to be silly with her - we get to laughing and laughing about nothing, which are always the best stories to remember.

Aren't we cute together?

I like to think that I look like her . . .


I want to be a mother like her. Or a mother like my grandmother or great-grandmother. They are all amazing women, each in their own right.



Yet, with all those impressive role models to look to, you might wonder, could it get any better? I didn't think so . . . until I met my mother-in-law. Woe to the women who do not get along with their mother-n-law - I completely hit the jackpot. Linda is made of the same tough stuff the women in my family are made of and has the best laugh. I dare anyone not to feel happy when she laughs. She is the consummate social butterfly - you cannot be around her and not have a good time. Who is with me on freezing cold Black Friday mornings, game plan in hand? You betcha: Linda. We decided right off that bat that if Todd and I didn't work out, he'd have to leave, not me.



Here's to moms, everywhere!

No comments: