Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Glass Pumpkin Time!

Just about every year, I go to the Great Glass Pumpkin Patch in Palo Alto.  It is such a fun event and a wonderful way to support local artists.  It is always a fun adventure.  Last October was a rough month for the Bickels, so I missed last year’s event.  This year I was able to go, leaving Lily in the capable hands of Todd and hoping that I wouldn’t miss a feeding.  Poor Lily is still pretty unwilling to take a bottle, though Todd can get her to usually take an ounce or two. (aka: not nearly enough)  So I didn’t want to be gone too long, but I was thrilled about my freedom.

A few years ago, I went through the entire picking glass pumpkin process in “’Tis the Season to be Fall-y” which you can check out for a catch up if you missed it the first time around. 

This year, I told myself and assured Todd I would only be getting one pumpkin – a pink pumpkin for Lily, as I bought Luke a little blue one when I was pregnant with him. Seriously. Just one pumpkin. Seriously.

So, that was a pretty epic fail.  I bought 3. I did find the pink pumpkin, which turned out to be more of a violet, than a pink.  There was a really pretty pastel pink pumpkin, but it was big and $75. Couldn’t justify.  So I got this one, bigger than I planned, but super cute! I liked the spots. I think I was in a “spotty” place this year.  There was a leopard print-ish pumpkin that I liked, but it was swooped up by my partners in crime. There’s always next year!

DSC06742

Since I was in a spotty place for pumpkins, I found this cute little purple pumpkin with that silvery stem I was looking for.

DSC06740

But my favorite by far is the last pumpkin I found.  I was feeling nostalgic and really wanted a somewhat traditional orange pumpkin.  Then I found it.  The one with the matte stem.  In the previous post, I said I wanted more matte stems.  Ta da! The poachers wanted this pumpkin badly. But it was not to be. It was mine.  Now I know the artist that I like.  I have two of his pumpkins now: similar shape, same style stem. Woo hoo!

DSC06739

This is my current collection.  My friends all have tons more than I do, but I love my little glass pumpkin patch and they are so fun to take out every year! Each family member has their own pumpkin that represents their favorite colors and styles, so I like that they remind me of my family.  They are certainly not a cohesive style or set of colors, but they’re mine and I love them!

DSC06735

I will be looking forward to next year’s Glass Pumpkin Patch festival!

No comments: