Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 4 – Hollywood Studios

On Memorial Day, we headed out early to Hollywood Studios, knowing that I had a limited amount of time.  I would have to leave the park by 3:00 to be able to drive to the airport and catch my flight home.  Stay till the very last minute was my plan!

This was the view from our balcony:

DSC04844

We enjoyed coffee before we left – there was a Starbucks right in the hotel! I do love convenience.

DSC04849

I will say that Memorial Day was PACKED. But . . . strangely enough . . . we did not get charged for parking! Don’t know how it happened, but we certainly didn’t complain!

We headed straight over the Pixar Place to get our Toy Story Mania FastPasses.  Clearly, that was a great idea because we stood in line for a half hour. To get a Fast Pass. By 10:30, they were out of Fast Passes for the day. Phew! Linda didn’t quite get the appeal until we got on the ride. And then she annihilated my score.  (Dang those Bickels!)

DSC04850

DSC04876

We went on the Great American Movie Ride which was definitely a ride and talked about movies, but I think that “great” is overstating things a bit . . .

That being said, the had Mary Poppin’s carousel horse! Cool!

DSC04863

I was lovin’ on all the details – including the sign posts that were identical to those at the Disney Animation Studios in LA.

DSC04865

As we waited for our FastPass time, we went into the Animation zone and did our Drawing with Disney lesson, in which we drew Goofy.

I’ll admit it, I teared up when I sat in front of the light box.  It brought back so many good memories and I really ached for Noella in the Days of Animation Yore, where it was all creativity all the time.

DSC04859

At the end of the art lesson, the teacher always asks a question and whoever gets it right gets his drawing.  I swear, I am so ridiculously competitive, especially when it comes to trivia, that I wasn’t even going to let the cute kid next to me win.

Question: At the end of what movie did Goofy briefly appear? (or something like that)

Got it? Do you know it?

I am so smug.  My hand shot up in the air while I was still drawing.

The answer? “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” of course!

So Linda, in her very Linda way, had to point out my drawing when he came over to give me his.  He was really impressed, but I said I went to school for animation, and he laughed.  What was really cool? He put his drawing over mine and they were eerily close, almost identical.  You should have seen me fluff up just as proud as I could be. 

So whose is whose?

goofy drawing

(I think mine looks more like Pluto with teeth and a hat instead of Goofy …)

So we “goofed” around for a while – and of course, I had to find more characters to take pictures with! Love Sully!

 

DSC04868

Linda even did some “Singin’ in the Rain”

DSC04866

We had waited a little too long to get FastPasses for Aerosmith’s Rock n Rollercoaster and ended up with a 3:50 pm FastPass time.  Yikes! I really should have been leaving the park by 3:00, 3:30 at the latest.  But I would have been incredibly mad if I didn’t ride it, so the decision was made and we hovered around the return line until the clock struck 3:50.  Aerosmith is one of my favorite bands and a roller coaster with Aerosmith music?? SCORE!

DSC04877

TOTALLY worth it! One of the best rides of the weekend! We had an amazing time and then busted out of there like our pants were on fire.  I made it to the airport in plenty of time, caught my late flight home.

Honestly, getting in at midnight and still having to be at work bright, shiny and cheerful by 7:30 the next morning was rough.  There was absolutely no recovery time for a trip like that and I just had to suck it up and make it happen.  I’m so glad I stayed for literally every minute that I could have.  I have no idea when I will get back to WDW again, so I had to make it count.

I had such an amazing time – it felt like way more than a weekend.  It was incredible.  I cannot begin to thank Linda enough for letting me tag along and share in all of my Disney craziness.  It takes a special person to put up with all of that and she had fun too! She’s a great travel and adventure buddy.  Thank you thank you thank you Linda!

No comments: