Friday, December 24, 2010

Winter Program

There is always a winter and spring program at Stratford - whether you are 2 years 9 months and in a preschool program or 10 years old and in 5th grade. I have my show that I do every year ("Charlie Brown Christmas" which is adorable, if I do say so myself) and now Luke gets to do a show, too.

Some background information to note:
  • Luke is not yet three.
  • Luke has been going to preschool 2 afternoons a week.
  • Luke began preschool at the end of November.
  • Luke has no freaking clue what a "program" is.

And now, the story of Luke's show.

Luke was dressed up as an elf (a very cute one at that) and was placed at the end of the line with all the other "standers." You know the "standers:" the kids who don't do anything and just take up space. They don't sing, they don't dance, they stand. Please look at the background information above to note why Luke is part of the "stander" group.

So Luke is absolutely bewildered, wondering why he is dressed up as a freaking elf. He keeps saying "Mommy? Mommy?" while I keep smiling and waving with my cameras (plural) and being a super obnoxious preschool mommy. (with all the rest)

He immediately starts making goofy noises and being very Luke-ish to the adorable little girl next to him and she is so incredibly irritated. She shushed and shushed him and finally, I kid you not, "hmphed" him, tossed her hair and turned away. It was awesome.

So the music started, the kids were (mostly) singing, minus the standers, and Luke looked like he had been dropped on some strange, mysterious planet wondering what he was supposed to do. At least the kid next to Luke was the "chewer" of the "standers." The kid who chewed on his shirt, then the bells, then the kazoo around his neck.

After a few songs, Luke decided he was completely done with this whole performance and started walking towards me. I, being the director of my own show, waved my hand, said "No no Luke! Go back to your spot!" Dang, did I get a dirty look. He pouted back to his spot and promptly . . .

pulled his hat down completely over his face.

What did I do?

Laugh, of course.

Then he really yanked down the hat, to make sure his face was good and covered.

I continued to giggle, as did many of the other parents. Luke pulled the hat up a little, to check to see if the attention was on him, caught my eye and the hat went down again. Really, really pulled down.

Nice work, Luke.

We have it all on video, which is really cute. Granted, out of a 20 minute boring performance of Luke, this is the 2.5 minutes of good film. So I won't put up the whole boring thing. This is the only still shot I was able to take, as the battery died on my camera. Bummer.

He just looks so disappointed in me.

"Why Mommy? Why would you allow them to dress me up like this? I thought you liked me? I thought we were in a good place."

Because these are the moments (videos) I can embarrass you with when you're 16 and bringing home girls. That's what you get for pulling down your hat over your cute, pouty face.

No comments: