Friday, June 18, 2010

Amazing!

The Amazing Race: Stratford 2010





So I'll put a few pictures up of what I can . . . because it's amazing. A-MAZ-ING.

So I had super-star parents this year in my classroom - they are the Magic Moms. I could never do what they have done and the ring leader of the operation is a working mom. That's right: a full time working mom. More power to her!

They decided that for the end-of-the-year party, they would have a day long party (no joke) and it would be the Amazing Race. Seriously. They had games and activities that related to 5 different countries, they had clues, passports, t-shirts, everything. You name it, they had it.

sidenote: I've never watched the show, but due to the attention to detail, I'm assuming it is exactly like the show.

The kids raced outside, inside, everywhere! The moms came in and decorated my classroom to look like different countries. Please note: these are not print outs -- they are cut sheets of paper, layered. These are my people. They are willing to spend crazy amounts of time on crafty things that maybe 1 out of every 10 people will notice and appreciate. I really appreciated it.

So while I can't post pics of the kids, I will post a few of the games and definitely the backgrounds.


I completely forgot to take a picture of the Egypt background - nuts!



So for Mexico, they had to assemble a puzzle that had the clue at the bottom. This led them to making pinatas.

Yup - all the kids made individual pinatas. Magic Mom had made individual paper mache spheres for the kids to make the pinatas out of. They were neatly painted and had lines for the placement of glue. Individually cut strips of fringed tissue paper were neatly arranged in color order in color coordinated boxes for each group. There was even miniature candy to be stuffed into the pinatas. I'm not joking.

Please note the assembled tree that the kids had to hang their finished pinatas on.

After the pinatas, they had to categorize Spanish words on a magnetic board, then translate each word before they could move on to the next clue. Yes. I'm serious.



Instructions for mosaic:


In Greece, the kids made mosaics - super cute! Either a sunflower or a parrot - everything was color labeled. Like paint by numbers, but with sticky foam squares.

Finished mosaic:



There were certainly more games than I can mention here (again: ALL DAY PARTY) but at the end, they kids all received these goody bags. They had popcorn, water balloons, bubbles (eco-friendly, of course), pencils and TWO books.


I got one, too!


Yeah - its super crazy and super awesome. Thanks to all the parents who came and helped out - we had 7 parent participants, all wearing the purple "grown up" shirt. I even got my own!

No comments: