Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Leap Day Birthday!

My good friend, Roberta, has a leap day birthday – which I think it super cool.  I really only remember the birthdays of friends who have something else to associate with (ie: Debbie = Tax Day, Anny = my wedding anniversary, etc) so Roberta’s is a good one.  I promised her back in October that I would make her a cherry pie on her birthday because 2012 was a special year – there was a 29th!

Little did I know what a crazy promise that was . . . what was I thinking??? February is crazy for the teachers and March is even worse.  But I promised, and it was special, so I made it. I will admit to:

  • Using canned cherries (couldn’t find any fresh)
  • Using a box mix for a pie crust.

While I wanted to make everything from scratch (it always tastes better) I started this project at 8 pm and knew the day/week/month ahead of me. 

This was my second attempt at a lattice crust (HERE is my first attempt. FAIL.) and my first success.  Granted, not an even lattice, as there was no ruler coming out at 9 pm to deal with perfect lattice strips, but none broke and I felt like a winner.

DSC06495

I did learn that Betty Crocker’s statement that the box is “enough for two crusts” is a lie, at least, for the amount of crust that I would say is sufficient.  So I will make sure to have two boxes next time.

Roberta was sweet enough to share with me and a another teacher after school and it was delicious, if I do say so myself. And I do.

I’m finally getting over my fear of making pie as there is no fear of eating pie and I can always always eat my mistakes.

No comments: