Friday, April 22, 2011

The Horses of Tir Na Nog


My MIL is awesome. She works hard all week and on top of that, a few times a month, she donates her time volunteering at the non-profit organization The Horses of Tir Na Nog. Its a rescue group for horses that have been abused or neglected.

Linda asked if I would like to come along and help while I was down in San Diego. Little did she know that I have always loved horses and went to horse camp as a kid to take care of horses. So I jumped at the chance and off we went.

We started by mucking out stalls and moved onto brushing the horses. Its such a quiet time . . . brushing and talking to the horses. It was quite relaxing, especially after the last few miserable, stressful months. So I started with brushing Jewel, who was a sweet horse, and moved onto Angel. Poor Angel . . . she needed to be brushed badly. But it felt like I was needed, so I appreciated that.

Angel


My "tools"



Just some of the old winter coat brushed out. Dottie is in the background.



Me and my MIL: matchy matchy twins.


Linda and her favorite horse, Sundance:



Me and Tanner:

I was certainly exhausted and dirty after all the work of the morning, but it was such a great way to spend the morning.

No comments: