Thursday, April 4, 2013

Paleo-ness

So a few months ago, Todd and I started really thinking about solutions to a few problems we're having in our family.

1) I swear I will never lose this baby weight (and then some).
2) Is there a correlation (causal or otherwise) between Luke's ADHD/ODD and diet?

I started doing some research and found that there is research done on food dyes/preservatives/additives and how it can affect behavior.

Paleo diet was a possible solution.

We have been on Paleo for a few months now and we have seen quite a difference.  Paleo is fairly straightforward - eat like a caveman (paleolithic).  So no bread, legumes, dairy.  It is gluten free, grain free, etc.  Nothing processed, nothing from a box.  All fresh veggies, some fruit, nuts, fresh/wild protein: beef, chicken, lamb, pork, fish, etc.  Organic as much as possible.

Cost wise, we do what we can.  It can't always be organic, it can't always be wild, pole caught, free range, etc.  A lot of cooking. Nothing easy. Lots of dishes. I hate dishes.

I miss pasta and bread. And sandwiches and cereal. 

But I love that I don't eat as much.  I'm simply not as hungry as I used to be.  Apparently that is from refined grains.  I love that I feel better, top to bottom.

I have eaten more vegetables in the last two months than in years.  So it's a good thing.  We've been a little more flex since I had my surgery.  I am the grocery shopper, so I've been out of commission.  We've playing a little fast and loose with our meals, but we'll get back on track by next week.

The results? I've lost about 20 lbs and so has Todd.  Luke has gotten thinner and leaner (which I'm not thrilled with) but his behavior has improved.  He is aware that he is off food dyes, though we are not strict about gluten with him.  He wouldn't eat lunch otherwise - he the PB&J King.  He has gotten pretty good about knowing what he can and cannot have, though he will ask.  It's actually pretty cute.  He'll hold something up and shout, "IS THIS ALLERGIC TO ME??"  He knows that chocolate is an okay food :)

It is definitely a lifestyle change that I'm happy with, but I know I can't be without bread forever.  It will be an "occasional" food, not an all the time restriction.  Todd is a LOT closer to his goal weight.  I feel like I'm an eternity away.  But I know that I'm better than where I was.

Keep it up Bickel family! 

We have seen a huge impact

No comments: