Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Minus one appendix.

You know I can't simply go on  with my life if I haven't taken a jaunt over to the ER or had some sort of surgery for a few months at a time.  So I thought I'd have some appendicitis and take that sucker right on out. :)

A few weeks ago, about an hour out of lunch, I started having some indigestion.  I figured I didn't put my lunch (leftovers) in the fridge at work and was paying for it, digestively speaking.  It didn't go away, but I powered through because that's what I do.  It was the second day of a three day, 12 hour work day (a Thursday, 7:30-7:30) and I just couldn't leave.  I didn't eat very much at dinner and the science fair was awful. So many people, so much heat . . . bleh.  My boss told me to go home (made it out 15 minutes early - woo hoo!) and called the advice nurse on my way home.  By that point, the pain had localized to my lower right side and I had a feeling it was my appendix.  The nurse said it could be either my appendix or an ovarian cyst and scheduled an appointment for the next morning, around 10 am.

The next morning I headed into work (ready for the third of the 12 hour work days) and promptly postponed my appointment.  (What?!? I know, I'm crazy.) The pain hadn't lessened, but it hadn't gotten worse and I had a ton of work to do to prepare for Family Night at school that night.  I was the one organizing/running it and there was simply a ton to do.  So I worked, I even subbed for a teacher who went home ill :)  Go figure.

I knew that I wouldn't be coming back to work after my appointment, so I simply had to get as much done as possible. *sigh*

So I went to the doctor (random, not mine) and she had terrible bedside manner.  She mostly thought that I had constipation (seriously) and I was mortified that anyone would think I would go to the doctor for constipation.   But she decided to check me into the ER as a precaution.  They admitted me and mushed around on my belly. Which hurt. A lot.  Even more strange? They would push on my left side and my RIGHT side would hurt. Bizarre.  So I had a CT scan and surprise! Infected appendix.  Time for surgery!

At this point, I was by myself, Todd was with the kids and I like to do the ER thing solo. :)

After I spoke with the surgeon, she said that I should be able to go home in the morning.  I said that I would be good to go back to work on Monday and she laughed at me. Rude. 

The pre-op nurse asked me how old I was, he said I looked 16! Score! I felt pretty old and haggard, especially prior to surgery, but I appreciated the compliment. 

Anyways, my mom came after that and I went into surgery by 9 pm.  I was done by 10:30 pm and left to go home by 11:30 pm. Because I wanted to and that's how it is.

The good news is that it was a simple procedure and I've had no complications.  The path came back fine/normal on my appendix and I'm all better. I had last week off and this week is our spring break, which gives me a good couple weeks of full recovery.

Who knows what I'll head into the ER for in the next few months!

No comments: