Thursday, January 20, 2011

Christmas Eve

We decided to attempt to host both families for Christmas Eve . . . dang, that was some serious work. I loved having a "reason" to decorate. So while there were "normal" Christmas decorations up, there were also extra decorations for the party. So everything was all blue and white and silvery, which was fun.

Todd used his new smoker (I swear, I'll post all about that . . .) to make me bbq ribs which was all I really wanted. And I really wanted to eat them on my wedding china. The wedding china has been packed away and hidden for years (5 actually!) and finally made their "Bickel Family Debut!" I thought I was clever having ribs on china. Something about the juxtaposition or equally clever :)



So we had pork butt and ribs and beans and all sorts of deliciousness.


And of course, as has been touted on this blog for years, Great-Grandma's famous cookies. And I know that I am "in," as I received the main grouping of cookies. I got the official "Christmas Cookie Tupperware." Not to keep of course, because Great-Grandma will not fill it up with more cookies if I don't give it back. Todd got a tin of chocolate chip (epic) and Luke got his own tin of Christmas Cookies too. But mine was the biggest. I must be the favorite. Right? Right?

As we were getting ready, my amazing MIL surprised me with a Christmas gift: a new fireplace set! It was gorgeous, with a very simple fleur-de-lis pattern.

A fire in the fireplace - with all my new fireplace swag. Pretty freakin' gorgeous. And weird . . . doesn't it look like a reindeer in the actual flames?

The finished glory.



The Great-Grandparents gave Luke his Christmas gift early - his own tool workbench. With a drill that makes a drill sound (just like the dentist!) that he will drill everywhere. Did you hear that? EVERYWHERE. We spend a lot of time saying, "On the bench! ONLY on the BENCH!" He loves tools and will pick up any tool that is in reach to try to "fix" something. And if it doesn't need to be fixed, he can make it so that it will need to be fixed. I think that's a boy skill.

Apparently, it all packs up into itself like a nice little suitcase, but we haven't tried that yet. Cool, huh?


Cupcakes and cookies, oh my! (And yes, he had both.)

Cute face = more cookies.

Great-Grandma made sure that he was well sugared up before bed.

Me and the hubby. Notice the gash in my lip? Probably not, but I'm super-self-conscious. My darling son zoomed his very pointy jet plane into my face. Merry Christmas, Mommy. The joys of boys.

Some of my favorite people.
I loved having so many people that I love so dearly all with me on Christmas Eve - its why I love the holidays.

We finished up by Luke getting his new Christmas jammies, which he was half-heartedly interested in. I told him that Santa wouldn't be able to find him if he wasn't excited to wear his jammies. I do love Mommy Law . . . gets things done.

No comments: