Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summer School.

I don't really know how to say this any other way, but . . . well . . . Summer School sucks. On so many levels. I don't know if I can do this another summer. I might need a different summer job.

The long and the short of it is that the art curriculum is a little shafty, so I find myself having the "fill in" quite a bit where needed.

So for circus week, one of my fellow Summer School teachers gave me the idea of having the kids sculpt a seal for one of my art days. What makes art difficult is that it needs to work for ages 5 to 10, yet needs to vary in complexity, as well as not kill me with a huge volume of materials, time, etc. So it was great, the seal was awesome, the kids loved it. Sweet. Later in the week, I had them make a ringmaster using a pattern and a toilet paper tube. Please note: it is apparently a Willy Wonka pattern and only one kid called me on it. Suddenly I had a scene just begging for a background so I threw together a background showing the inside of the circus. On the back I colored a striped tent (versitility!). I totally loved it! The kids loved it! It was a huge, fun project!


This is the last week of Summer School (let the angels sing!), though next week begins training week for the new school year. I am hoping that I can set up my classroom in an expedient manner to allow for some break, however small it happens to be. Currently, my normal classroom is used as a storage/curriculum sorting area, so I won't be able to get in there for a while. *sigh* Here's hoping that I can get all this mess moving!

No comments: