Thursday, June 14, 2012



I love quotes.  I love it when someone can concisely say what I wish I could say.  I admire brevity and cleverness.  Every day, I get a Quote of the Day from my favorite magazine, "Real Simple." Sometimes the quotes come at serendipitous times and sometimes they're just interesting.  

Today's Quote o' the Day is one that I readily use and attempt to apply to my life.  It is one of the reasons that I love sunflowers.  I love that it's all about attitude and finding the positives in life.  It's one of the reasons that I have sunflowers as part of my tattoo. It is an idea that I want to instill in my children.  

What I didn't know? It is a Helen Keller quote.  You see, in my crazy mixed-up mind, I feel a special connection to Helen Keller. Weird, right?  Well, I decided on this "special connection" years ago when I did a report on her and found that we have the same birthday (June 27th) exactly 100 years apart (1880 vs. 1980).  And that while she lost her senses of vision and hearing, I have no sense of smell.  Weak connection, at best, but I was like, 12 years old and held onto my "beliefs."

All that out of the way, this year has been a challenge.  I have had my most difficult year at work, feeling incompetent and overwhelmed the majority of the year.  I tried to remind myself of this quote and told others about it, in weak attempts to bolster myself up.  Most of the time, I faked it.  At work, I smacked a smile on my face and tried my best to keep turning toward the sunshine.

The long and the short of it . . . it's all about attitude.  I can't control anyone or anything but myself, and I'll make the decision to face the sun.

And my grades are FINALLY done. Woo hoo!

No comments: